Belonging Matters is a pilot project funded by Indiana’s Bureau of Disabilities Services (BDS) to support people with a disability and their families. In the next two years, we are partnering with Starfire Council of Greater Cincinnati. We will provide guidance to families and community groups to explore dreams, goals and interests not related to a person’s disability. This will lead to a person having a positive, visible identity where they live.
We will do this by focusing on these key tenets:
- Giving a voice to their highest expectations for their child
- Create more social connections within their community
- Build relationships around shared interests and passions
- Cast an optimistic vision for the future
- Build a more inclusive world for all
Families will receive support through the completion of a community-based project which aims to foster connections, facilitate growth, and increase visibility in their community.
Contribute to the community in a meaningful way
A Family Project is a way to explore and activate shared spaces that contribute to the community in a meaningful way. Events like neighborhood picnics, outdoor movie night, or an art project can help grow connections that lead to being known and named. And the community experiences a positive shift toward a healing culture of inclusivity.
- Get 1:1 guidance from VOA staff to create and launch project
- Receive a $500 stipend
- Receive a $1,000 project budget
- Have access to monthly structured discussions and community story hour
- Obtain access to training courses