Healthy Relationships is a 10 hour course, for individuals who are newly diagnosed with HIV, or may be looking for support and skills in coping with their HIV diagnosis. It is typically split up between 2 days. As an evidenced based intervention the objective is to help individuals with the physical, mental, and social challenges that can come from an HIV diagnosis.
The core elements of the intervention are:
- Defining stress and reinforcing coping skills with HIV-positive people across three life areas:
- Disclosing to family and friends,
- Disclosing to sex partners, and
- Building healthier and safer relationships.
- Using modeling, role-play, and feedback to teach and practice skills related to coping with stress.
- Teaching decision-making skills around the issue of disclosure of HIV status.
- Providing participants with personal feedback reports to motivate change of risky behaviors and continuance of protective behaviors.
- Using popular movie clips to set up scenarios around disclosure and risk reduction to stimulate discussions and role plays.
For more information regarding upcoming classes please call us at 502-635-4502/502-635-4505 or email at Marshallk@voamid.org